Friday, March 6, 2009

Alright Stop. Collaborate and LISTEN!

Ice is back with a brand new invention!

Yes, Yes,it's true. We went to the ONLY concert of Vanilla Ice AND MC Hammer last week in OREM/Provo Utah! When our friends called us up to say that those two late 80's/ early 90's icons were coming together to put on a one time concert for the fans at the Utah Valley University in Orem Utah, there was no question about it, we HAD to go. It was advertised to dress 80's so a big group of us went to the thrift store and had a ton of laughs reminiscing about the hideous fashions of the 80's. And the worst part? Mostly all of it is coming back!!?!! Here are some pictures of our gang...
The boys
The girls
The High School Sweethearts, that thought they were, like, totally RAD! With the pegged pants, high tops, leg warmers, neon and BANGS!Oh, don't' forget the lace fingerless gloves!
We had so much fun dancing (I had to take it easy because of my eye :( ) they played late 80's early 90's music before and between the two performers. It was so fun! Especially with out all our kids...we all felt like we were teenagers again.
Yep. That's Vanilla's head. I was standing right behind him.
This is a GREAT picture of me as Mc Hammer was walking by.
Even though he is in his 50s, Hammer still brought the moves and pulled out is old dances. It was awesome!
Hammer and his daughters...I mean Dancers. They were pretty good, he also brought his 13 year old son and he did some popping and a new style of dancing that was cool.
Vanilla had a creepy, morbid stage set.

If you know Mark, he is VERY good at conveniently getting behind scenes, at the front of lines, and finding celebrities. So this comes as no surprise that we were able to meet, touch and talk to Vanilla Ice and MC Hammer! We got up to the front/side of the stage and Vanilla came down as well as Hammer. I don't know why I become all star struck, I guess just to say I did it, but I they were right in front of me and I just kept patting Vanilla on the shoulder and touching Hammers hand. Silly, I know. But after the concert vanilla was signing autographs and Mark got his ticket signed by him and a great picture.
Hammer, right before he got sweat all over my hand.
Vanilla signing autographs
Word to your Mutha!
Vanilla seemed kinda embarrassed to be singing his ol' skool songs, "Ice Ice Baby" "Go Ninja Go Ninja Go!" "Play that Funky Music White Boy" and kept saying, "I can't believe you guys remember this stuff! It was 18 years ago!" He came out screamin' his hard core recent stuff and nobody really got into it until he did the old stuff. He put on a show, though, with his creepy side-kick friend in a santa suit and clown mask throwing water all over the crowd...??? It was fun, but I really enjoyed McHammer. It wasn't a very big and ellaborate perfromance, but he kept true to the ol' sckool hammer, even wearing hammer pants! He did most of all the old songs, "Too legit", "Turn this mother out!" and "You got to Pray!" And of course some of his new dance songs too. At least he wasn't embarrassed of the legacy that made him all those millions.

Overall, it was the funnest concert I have ever been to.! I think it was because of the friends we were with, the memories the music and clothes brought back and the dancing that all combined to make a great night. It was sooo worth it!

9 comments:

San Diego Spendloves said...

That is so awesome. I love those bands. I wish that I had checked your blog before playgroup so that I could have heard every last detail. I am so glad that you had such a fun time. You all looked awesome.

Annette said...

We were just talking about how much we miss Utah and now we really miss Utah. The coolest stuff happens there! You guys look awesome!

Staceygirl said...

What!? You came to Utah and didn't visit us??? You have some splainin' to do!!!!!!! You would rather hang with Vanilla Ice and MC Hammer...

who wouldn't?

Reggs said...

Yah, I'm with Stacygirl...you didn't tell me you were in town?? THE NERVE! ha ha, just kidding.
I am positive you found PLENTY of 80's fashion at the Utah D.I.
We'll have to catch you the next time you are in town!

Sarah said...

That is funny because Aaron and I were just looking up the MC HAmmer Taco Bell Commercial on u tube where he jumps off of the building and his pants turn into a parachute. We were laughing so hard. Glad you had fun, especially without the kids ;)!! Hope things are ok with your eye!

The McNeil Family said...

How fun... I heard about there concert. Luky I wanted to go.. I love you outfits.

Lindsay K. said...

I'm glad you guys decided to come, it was such a fun night, even if I did think my feet were going to fall off. It was fun to spend the weekend with you guys! Can't wait to see you in the summer, with a new addition.

Michele said...

What a party!!! Were there about 15 of you all together? Looks like a super fun group! Now this explains why I heard you humming "Can't touch this..." at church last week. :)

Lisa T. said...

Very well put!! Can I copy and paste this post to my blog? Those were some good times! We're so glad you came out for the par-tay!!